Announcing Women’s House Serving Bruce & Grey’s Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® 2020 Virtual Walk
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® event is usually held on a Sunday in May, to bring awareness to May’s Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and to start the hard conversations. This year we’re going to make it a virtual walk!
Want to join in? This year we’re doing a VIRTUAL WALK anytime from May 20 –September 30, 2020, and we’re asking you to do your walk in FUNKY SOCKS since we can’t get the shoes to you! But that’s totally optional, we just want you to join in and get out there for that walk in any way that you want! You could win an Amazon Alexa Echo, donated by Bruce Power!
To support any of our walkers with online pledges, please visit our Canada Helps donation site!
Here’s how you can easily join in, and help Women’s House:
Follow these simple steps:
- Anytime May 20 through September 30 (completed Pledge Sheets and donations must be received/postmarked before midnight September 30th to be eligible for the prize): Go to our website at www.whsbg.on.ca/are-you-man-enough
- Find the Registration Sheet at the bottom of this page (note these are generic forms, so some information, like shoe size, is not necessary for the virtual walk this year):
- Print it off, complete the information and scan/send it back to firstname.lastname@example.org to get registered.
- Save it, then type your information right into the Word document. Save/send to email@example.com to get registered.
- Please let us know, in the email, when you plan to do your walk.
- You will receive a confirmation email within 72 hours, to confirm receipt of your form
- Find the Pledge Sheet at the bottom of this page and print off as many as you think you’ll need. Collect/hand-write names and pledges from family and friends who want to support you in your walk and, in turn, support Women’s House Serving Bruce & Grey in the work we do. (Note: completed Pledge Sheets and donations must be received/postmarked before midnight September 30th to be eligible for the prize):
- Completed Pledge Sheets: When you’re finished collecting Pledges (Pledge Sheets and donations must be received/postmarked by midnight September 30th to be eligible for the prize), you can scan and email your completed Pledge Sheets (to firstname.lastname@example.org), or you mail the hard copies of the Pledge Sheets (along with cheques) to Women’s House Serving Bruce & Grey, P.O. Box 760, Kincardine, ON, N2Z 2Y2 (Note: make sure all names/mailing information is legible, so we can send them a tax receipt. Also, make a note if they have donated electronically through our CanadaHelps link, so we can match up the donation)
- Donations: You can add up all your donations and send in one cheque from you, or you can send the individual cheques from your pledges (cheques can be made out to Women’s House Serving Bruce & Grey). Just make a note beside all electronic donations, so we know that they were made through our CanadaHelps link on our website, so we can match them with your Pledge Sheet. Make sure you get legible contact information for all your pledges on the Pledge Sheet so we can send them a tax receipt.
- Electronic Donations: Alternatively, anyone can make a donation electronically, using the CanadaHelps (Donate) link on our website…. Just ask them to make sure they choose our Walk a Mile Fund from the drop-down options, and mention your name in the donation message so we know they are supporting you! You should also be sure you list them on your Pledge Sheet and make a note that they donated electronically on the CanadaHelps link, so we can match them to you.
- Find a FUNKY pair of socks that will stand out from a crowd (but don’t walk in a crowd, because we want you to respect physical distance), and set them aside for your walk day
- We usually have placards to share messages for the walk, but you could enlist your kids (make it a teachable moment and art class in one!), or make your own if you want… everything is totally optional!
- When your walk day comes, put on those FUNKY socks, grab that placard and strut your way through that mile-long walk! Make sure to take a photo/selfie and post it to your Facebook page, and tag @Women’s House Serving Bruce & Grey… or send it to us at email@example.com
- The walk is usually meant for men only, but if, during this special virtual walk, you choose to make it a family affair, or have friends join you, please respect physical distancing guidelines, and get a photo of everyone and tag us! Have fun!
- Be sure to start those difficult conversations, and keep them going! You can make a difference!!
On October 6th we’ll announce the winner …. That’s the walker with the highest Pledges, and if that’s you, you could win an Amazon Alexa Echo (value $100) donated by Bruce Power
One in every four women is abused. That means someone you know, someone you care about, has been or may become a victim of abuse. It may be your mother, your sister, your friend, one of your employees/co-workers or your daughter. Seventy-five percent of Canadian men feel it is important to speak out against gender based violence. Many are doing so through the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®, not just talking the talk, but walking the walk donning red high-heeled shoes.
Your local women’s shelter needs your help. Women’s House Serving Bruce & Grey (WHSBG) is a high-security shelter for abused women and their children. We never close, provide emergency and short term shelter, counseling and support free of charge.
Monies raised from Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® ensure shelter services always remain open 24/7 and free of charge.
If you are wanting to “walk the walk, and talk the talk,” you will find links to the Walker’s Form and the Pledge Sheet. Please fill out the Walker’s Form, for yourself as an individual or for your team, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. The next step is to start collecting pledges and having great conversations about how you will end violence against women!